Dorothy Hamm Middle School’s Department of Student Services will help promote equity, access and high levels of learning for all students. We provide all students with a welcoming, comprehensive program that facilitates academic and personal success, and college and career readiness through individual and group counseling, classroom lessons, and school-wide activities. We cultivate and foster appropriate student self-advocacy skills and integrity; promote partnerships between students, parents and staff; and empower students to be responsible members of our community.
Dorothy Hamm Middle School students will develop the knowledge and skills they need to be successful lifelong learners and globally-minded citizens capable of achieving their goals.
The school counselors believe:
- Every student is unique and has different abilities, needs and learning styles
- All students should take personal responsibility in the educational process
- All students can learn and have potential to succeed
- All students should have equal access and opportunity to counseling services
- All students should pursue lifelong learning
The school counselors will:
- Create a respectful, safe and supportive environment
- Function as a professional and collaborative team
- Establish goals that address students’ needs
- Encourage effective communication and meaningful, positive relationships
- Advocate for the best interest of each student
- Continue professional development
- Strive to follow the ASCA National Model and maintain high ethical standards