Later this fall, 8th grade students will be eligible to apply to attend Arlington Tech for the 2020-2021 school year. Arlington Tech is rigorous option program for STEM oriented, self-directed learners who thrive in collaborative groups and are interested in starting their college curriculum early. Arlington Tech is defined by authentic project based-learning and integrates Career & Technical Education (CTE) with advanced, college-prep academics.
Requirements for Enrollment:
Math Requirement (to ensure access to Dual-Enrolled Courses):
All students need to be in Algebra II (or above) by the 10th grade. In accordance with this requirement, the following must occur:
- Students entering the 9th grade must have earned a verified credit in Algebra I by the end of their 8th grade year. If not, they will commit to earning a Geometry credit in the summer between their 9th and 10th grade years.
- Students entering the 10th grade must have earned a verified credit in Algebra I and Geometry by the end of their 9th grade year. If not, they will commit to earning a Geometry credit in the summer between their 9th and 10th grade years.
Cohort Requirement (to ensure that students access interdisciplinary PBL): all students enrolling in Arlington Tech agree to participate in a cohort and maintain a schedule that maps to our course pathway.
8th grade students will participate in a field trip to Arlington Tech on either November 13th or November 14th to learn more about this opportunity, and applications will be available in early November. For more information about Arlington Tech please see the flyer (coming soon!) and/or check out their website at: https://careercenter.apsva.us/arlington-tech/.
If you are interested in applying to Thomas Jefferson High School for Science and Technology (TJHSST), applications are now available.TJHSST eligibility requirements are:
- Current 8th grade students
- Math Requirements: Applicants to the freshman class at TJHSST must be taking a full-year of Algebra 1 for high school credit or a higher level math course in grade 8
- All applicants to TJHSST, at the completion of 7th grade, must have a GPA of 3.0 or higher in order to be eligible to apply.
The deadline to apply for TJHSST is September 27, 2019 at 4pm. Applications submitted after this date and time WILL NOT be accepted. (It is highly recommended that interested candidates apply early to allow for math verification)TJHSST informational meetings are currently being held at a variety of locations. Presentation locations, dates and times can be found here. You can also find a copy of this year’s presentation here.TJHSST Admissions Office Contact information is below:
Monday – Friday, 8 a.m. – 4 p.m.
Admissions Office FAX: 571-423-3777
For assistance with the application process, Ms. Carrie Schaefer, 8th grade School Counselor, is the DHMS-TJHSST liaison/point of contact and can be reached at email@example.com or at 703-228-2922