Later this fall, 8th grade students will be eligible to apply to attend Arlington Tech for the 2023-2024 school year. Arlington Tech is rigorous option program for STEM oriented, self-directed learners who thrive in collaborative groups and are interested in starting their college curriculum early. Arlington Tech is defined by authentic project based-learning and integrates Career & Technical Education (CTE) with advanced, college-prep academics.
Requirements for Enrollment:
Math Requirement (to ensure access to Dual-Enrolled Courses):
All students need to be in Algebra II (or above) by the 10th grade. In accordance with this requirement, the following must occur:
- Students entering the 9th grade must have earned a verified credit in Algebra I by the end of their 8th grade year. If not, they will commit to earning a Geometry credit in the summer between their 9th and 10th grade years.
- Students entering the 10th grade must have earned a verified credit in Algebra I and Geometry by the end of their 9th grade year. If not, they will commit to earning a Geometry credit in the summer between their 9th and 10th grade years.
Cohort Requirement (to ensure that students access interdisciplinary PBL): all students enrolling in Arlington Tech agree to participate in a cohort and maintain a schedule that maps to our course pathway.
Thomas Jefferson High School for Science and Technology (TJHSST) Freshman Application Process has been updated and posted on the TJHSST website. On the site you can find out the following information:
- Eligibility Requirements
- Residency requirements
- Course prerequisites
- Applicants must have completed a full-year course of Algebra 1, or be currently enrolled in a full-year course of honors-level Algebra 1 (it’s called Algebra Intensified here at DHMS)
- Please note that DHMS does not offer honors level Social Studies, Science or English/Language Arts nor Young Scholars so that will not have an impact on the application process
- Applicants must have a 3.5 or higher GPA in all core academic courses (math, science, social studies, English/language arts, and if taken for high school credit, world language) at the time of application
- Information about how a GPA is calculated is on the site as well (under eligibility requirements)
- The calendar of important application dates
- The application components
- How to complete the application
- Application Portal (which will be available starting October 24, 2022, at 4pm)
- Admission Decision Information
- A YouTube video on the application process (should be available by the end of the week/early next week)
If you would like to attend a live presentation about TJHSST from their admissions office please check this link to see when and where they’ll be held.
Calendar 2022-2023 Freshman Round
Monday, Oct 24: Applications Available – 4:00 pm
Wednesday, Nov 16: Last Day to Begin Application – 4:00 pm
Friday, Nov 18: Application Deadline – 4:00 pm
Saturday, Feb 4 : SPS/Essay Writing Administration – 8:00 am
Saturday, Feb 11: Inclement Weather Date for February 4
Friday, Feb 10: Accommodations, Make-Up SPS/Essay Writing Administration – 8:00 am
Friday, Feb 17: Inclement Weather Date for February 10
Friday, April 28: Final Notifications Released on or Before (Per Regulation)
For assistance with the application process, Ms. Carrie Schaefer, 8th grade School Counselor, is the DHMS-TJHSST liaison/point of contact and can be reached at email@example.com or at 703-228-2922.