August 7, 2020
Dear DHMS Families,
August has arrived – and with it, our excitement about starting a new school year grows. The DHMS staff is very excited to see your students in their online classes; teachers have invested lots of time and energy this summer into making online learning both accessible and engaging for students. To this end you will see: consistent Canvas practices by all teachers, a focus on student interaction during face to face class time, and authentic and enriching learning experiences. More details to come.
Some things to consider as you prep for the start of school:
- Just like we would during a normal year, begin to plan with your DHMS student about their morning and school routines. They should go to bed on time and get up in time to eat breakfast and get dressed for school. This will help students with the “mental shift” to starting the school day.
- Students’ first period class will start at 7:50 AM – make it a habit that the iPad is fully charged overnight, preferably in a family central location so that kids take a break from their tech.
- Help your youngster decide where they will do their schoolwork. We want to protect your student and family’s privacy – so where possible set up a workspace that has a wall behind the student (as opposed to their bed!).
- School Supplies to have at home: (You may have some of these from last year. Recycle!)
- One 3-inch binder
- Pencil pouch
- Colored Pencils/markers
- Loose-leaf paper
- Graph paper
- Dividers (set of 8)
- Post-it notes (3” x 3” in.)
- Composition book (English, for all grades)
- Composition book (Reading, Sixth Grade only)
- 2 highlighters
- Earbuds that will work with the iPad
- DHMS will provide some additional supplies:
- Assignment Notebook/Agenda
- Special materials for certain classes
- iPads and cases
- There will be a lunch break for students during their day – and about 5 minutes in between classes to allow for students to stretch or get up and move around.
- In the beginning of the year we will support students in learning best practices for online learning including how to stay organized, how to prioritize tasks, online etiquette, and how to communicate with teachers and other students.
For your calendar:
- August 18 (7:00 PM) – Virtual DHMS Town Hall on Zoom, sponsored by the PTSA
- August 22 (10:00 AM) and August 27 (7:00 p.m.) Parent Academies – sponsored by DHMS staff and PTSA
- September 3 (9:00 AM) – Virtual DHMS Orientation: Livestreamed Teams Event and Virtual TA Gatherings afterwards
- September 12 – DHMS Virtual Block Party
There are so many more details to come – look for a Phoenix Flyer every week this month, just to keep in touch.
We still have yearbooks to sell for anyone who might want a record of this past historical year. Please don’t hesitate to stop by DHMS on a Wednesday between 2-4 to purchase one or pick up yours if you haven’t already.
Ellen Smith, Principal