Good afternoon, DHMS Families,
The countdown to the end of the year has begun – 4 weeks of school left! We are so excited to prepare for the promotion of all our students to their next grade level – and a return in the Fall to a more normal way of schooling. Students have been super about taking time with their SOL Tests – we have completed the Reading SOL – and we move into science and math over the next few weeks. Please check the DHMS webpage for details about when we are testing and how to prepare.
Coming up: Virtual Grade 8 students will begin their in-person testing this Monday (5/24).
- 8th Grade students who are fully virtual are to report to Door 1 or Door 9 at DHMS at 7:40, with their “Green Check”
- Bus rider information has been loaded into ParentVue. Buses will return students home after 2:00 PM.
- Students can walk home when we are done testing (11:00 AM) – or they can be picked up on the DHMS Driveway at 11:00 AM.
Reminder: when in-person students are taking their SOL tests, students at home have work that they should be completing. The assignments are posted in Canvas – and teachers are communicating their expectations.
Returns: It is time to begin to check under beds and in your bookshelves for books (and other items) that students may have checked out from the library or their teachers. Ms. Shanker and Ms. Tsai checked out over 13,000 library books to students this year – if they have not been returned, we’d love to get them back. As well, many English and Reading teachers have sent books home to students – we hope to get these back! Other materials may be collected by teachers as well (Robotics, Comp Sci, FACS, World Languages) so please stay tuned for guidance from those teachers.
Leaving DHMS? As we prepare for the next school year, part of the process involves assisting families who will be withdrawing their student(s) from Dorothy Hamm Middle School. If this is the case for you, we request the following: regardless of whether you previously submitted a withdrawal form for next school year or not, please fill out the summer withdrawal form.
More to come in the next few weeks. Thank you for all your support!
Ellen Smith, Principal
- SOL Testing Continues through June 14!
- 5/26 – 7:00 PM – Spring Virtual Chorus Concert
- 6/8 – 7:00 PM – Spring Virtual Band Concert
- 6/10 – 7:00 – Spring Orchestra Concert, on the DHMS Plaza
- 6/11 – 4:00 – Virtual Unveiling Ceremony for the DHMS Historical Panels
- 6/17 – Grade 8 Promotion Ceremony
- 6/18 – Early Release Day – Last Day of School