May 28, 2021
Good Morning DHMS Families
Eighth Grade End of the Year Activities:
The DHMS Staff is so sad to see this wonderful group of 8th graders leave our school. They have been truly forged by fire – leaving one middle school (at the end of sixth grade) to join a new school – still under construction, they persevered through the challenges of virtual learning and have adapted brilliantly to our new normal. They are smart, they are hardworking, and they are oriented, already, towards making the world a better place. Here is how we hope to celebrate these kiddos:
*SAVE THE DATES*
- June 9 (T/W), June 10 (W/T), and June 14 (Virtual, after SOL Test) – Ice Cream Sundaes and yearbook signing
- June 17 – Livestreamed Virtual Promotion Ceremony through MS Teams featuring speeches from students, poetry, musical performances, and VIP Send-offs. I encourage families to come together in your own living rooms at 8:15 to watch the promotion ceremony…then…
- June 17 – Clap-out ceremony for 8th graders on the Driveway. Students can pick up their promotion certificates, the gifts we have, take a photo-opp with friends at our photo station and, perhaps most importantly, and say goodbye to their DHMS Teachers and supporters! I encourage families to continue the celebration of our 8th graders’ resilience and persistence. 8th Graders are “dismissed to summer” after promotion.
SOL Testing: Another great week of learning is in the books! Our students have been so focused on doing their best during our SOL tests – they have done a tremendous job. Just a couple more sessions and we will be finished with testing.
Testing Coming Up This Week:
- Wednesday, June 2 In-person – Math, 6th and 8th grades
- Friday, June 4, In-person – Math, 6th and 8th grades
Need to Make Up an SOL Test?
- All make-up testing for the SOL’s (all subjects, all grade levels, virtual and in-person) will occur between June 9-15.
Alternate Assessment for fully virtual students:
- If you have chosen to opt your fully virtual student out of SOL testing, an alternate assessment is available. This assessment will allow APS to gather data on students’ progress.
Library Books due June 1! It is time to check under beds and in your bookshelves for books (and other items) that students may have checked out from the library or their teachers. Ms. Shanker and Ms. Tsai checked out over 13,000 library books to students this year – if they have not been returned already, we want them back . Many English and Reading teachers have sent books home to students – we hope to get these back as well! Other materials may be collected by teachers as well (Robotics, Comp Sci, FACS, World Languages) so please stay tuned for guidance from those teachers.
Substance Abuse Awareness and Prevention:
Students at Dorothy Hamm Middle School have learned about the most abused substances for their age group through a social emotional learning lesson in the Fall. This lesson was presented during Red Ribbon Week by our very own Substance Abuse Counselor, Mrs. Siobhan Bowler. Students were also able to read the information that was presented and access additional information via audio and multiple online resources and the activities provided. This coming week, Mrs. Siobhan Bowler will provide our students with a follow-up presentation, that will cover the following substances: nicotine, vaping, marijuana, and alcohol. Parents and caregivers can view this presentation on Canvas, and we encourage all families to use it as a foundational resource to have these important conversations with their students about drug use and abuse. For more information and resources please feel free to contact Mrs. Siobhan Bowler.
Military Road/Nelly Custis Intersection:
Arlington County Department of Environmental Services (DES) invites you to attend an Open House meeting for further discussion of proposed safety improvements at the intersection of Military Road and Nelly Custis.
- 6/8 – 7:00 PM – Spring Virtual Band Concert
- 6/10 – 7:00 – Spring Orchestra Concert, on the DHMS Plaza
- 6/11 – 4:00 – Virtual Unveiling Ceremony for the DHMS Historical Panels
- 6/17 – Grade 8 Promotion Ceremony
- 6/18 – Early Release Day – Last Day of School