June 11, 2021
Good morning, DHMS Families,
As the excitement for summer ramps up, so does the pace of each day. Things have been really busy around here. Just one final SOL test for our virtual 8th graders on Monday – and then immediately following, their very own ice cream social! In-person students have enjoyed ice cream and yearbook signing this week, and the weather held for both events!
Next week looks gorgeous – and we are very much looking forward to celebrating this awesome class of eighth graders with their Virtual Promotion Ceremony on Thursday, 6/17 at 8:15 AM – tune in with your coffee from your own couch. The link will be sent on Wednesday. Then, anytime between 10:00 – 11:30 bring your eighth grader to DHMS to have their own Clap Out, pick up their gifts and certificates of promotion, and take pictures with their eighth-grade teachers – plan on being at school for no longer than 20 minutes. Sixth and Seventh Graders will enjoy popsicles donated by the DHMS SCA next week. Do not forget that Friday is an early release day. Students will be dismissed at 11:54 to enjoy their summer.
Reminder – students are to turn in all library books, classroom books, special class materials, and laptops next week.
- Any virtual student who returns materials to DHMS on Monday between 12 – 2 will get a special treat from the SCA! Staff will be available between 12 and 4.
- Ms. Shanker will be at Rocky Run Park on Monday between 12 – 2 to pick up any materials you might want to drop off – but especially library books!
- Monday, June 7: Virtual 8th Graders – Last SOL – Grade 8 Science (test in person)
Today – Virtual Dedication of the Stratford Commemorative Trail and Panels
What: Virtual “Unveiling and Dedication Ceremony for the Stratford Commemorative Trail and Historic Panels” on the DHMS Driveway
When: Friday, June 11th, at 4:00 PM
Join virtually as we unveil the panels that tell of the desegregation of Arlington Public Schools. Meet some of the students who attended Stratford Jr. High (now Dorothy Hamm Middle School) and family members of our namesake, Dorothy M. Bigelow Hamm. On your own: walk the same path that the four students did – and explore ways to Take Action on your own or in our community..
- 6/17 – Grade 8 Promotion Ceremony
- 6/18 – Early Release Day – Last Day of School