September 4, 2021
Good afternoon, DHMS Families,
What a joy it was to have our Phoenix students in the building with us this week. All of our students spent time this week getting acquainted with our building, becoming knowledgeable about their personal strengths, getting to know each other, and rebuilding organizational skills in anticipation of a great year of learning. Please ask your Phoenix student about their “color” strengths, the history of our building, who is in their TA, and how to best organize their binder for success.
In fact, if they haven’t already, this weekend is a great time organize their binders with dividers for each class, their agenda, pencil pouch, and paper. Extra supplies can be left at home for when the binder needs to be “refreshed’ (usually in January).
Last week culminated with locker assignments and combination lock practice, an evaluation of our PhoenixCon Workshops, and a cold treat! Thanks to all of our Parent Volunteers who helped with team building, monitoring the hallways, and handing out ice cream bars or popsicles to students! Your help was so appreciated.
On Wednesday – students will report to their TA by 7:40 and then will see each of their classes. Thursday and Friday of next week will be our first block days – students will see half of their classes for extended periods each day.
Some items to be aware of:
- Dropping your student off by car?
- Please only drop students on Military Road or the DHMS Driveway. Do not drop on Vacation Lane or 23rd Street. Both streets are narrow and 23rd Street has no sidewalk allowing safe access to DHMS.
- On the DHMS Driveway: approach the drop off like an airport –
- two lanes of traffic
- pull in to your grade level on the right (6 first, 7/8 by the curve)
- students exit right side of car
- proceed to light – left lane must turn left (on green); right lane must turn right (typically on the red due to students crossing)
- Keep speed slow on the driveway – students can be unpredictable
- Bus 611 – Beginning September 9 APS Transportation has made the following adjustment: Students riding bus 611 (picking up at N. Barton and Fairfax or Key Blvd and N. Edgewood) pick up times have changed. Contact the main office for new pick up times.
- Vaccination Record – when your DHMS student has been vaccinated, please send a copy of the vaccination record to the DHMS clinic.
I look forward to seeing many families at our DHMS Back to School Celebration this Friday, September 10 at 4:30. There will be games, DHMS Swag, and an opportunity to meet other DHMS families. Can’t wait to see you on the Driveway!
Ellen Smith, Principal, DHMS
- Friday, September 10th – Back to School Driveway Party, 4:30-6:00pm **New time!**
- Tuesday, September 14th – Bring your Parent to Back to School Night, 6:30-8:30pm
- Thursday, September 16th – No School (Yom Kippur)
- Tuesday, September 21st – DHMS PTSA Meeting, 7:00pm
- Friday, September 24th & Monday, September 27th – DHMS School Picture Days
- Wednesday, September 29th – Early Release Day (11:54am)
- Monday, October 11th – No School (Columbus Day)