Dear Fabulous Phoenix Families –
Is it really the middle of November? I am always amazed at how quickly the first quarter goes by – especially this year with our earlier start date! Time flies when you are having fun, and it has been fun to have our Phoenix students back in the building – learning, growing, and reacclimating to being part of a larger community of scholars.
Early on in Second Quarter, it’s good to ask your DHMS students to reflect on how the first quarter went – and remind them of the goals that they set at their student-led conference. What supports do they need? Which teacher might they need to reach out to for some support? What self-management habits are they working on improving? These conversations ask the student to reflect on and take ownership for their learning and their achievement. The TA teacher will continue to have these conversations regularly as well!
APS Student Services Department publishes a monthly newsletter – This month’s newsletter shares information on the SEL focus for this month: Social Awareness. Check it out here.
Covid Updates/Reminders –
- Testing occurs at DHMS on Wednesday mornings between 7:30 and 9:30 AM. Remember, you will only be contacted in the event of a positive Covid Test.
- As we move into colder and wetter weather – please discuss with your student your expectations regarding where they eat lunch. We will have two locations open inside for students to eat (Cafeteria and a gym); as well, our outdoor lunch space will always be available. Please make sure your child understands where you expect them to eat.
- Covid Contact Tracing/Quarantine – We have experienced a slight increase in Covid positive cases at DHMS – and the number of students who have had to quarantine (some multiple times) is large. Please know if your child is a close contact, teachers will post on their Canvas page the guidelines for students who are quarantined. For some classes, students will be able to join the class through a live Teams Meeting link. For others, assignments and expectations will be posted and students will be expected to work through these on their own. Your child should reach out to their teachers to let them know they are working from home and stay in contact.
Kudos: Congratulations to Ms. Allen’s Independent Living Class (Period 6) who put on a great Movie Night last week. The lessons students learned about planning, advertising, implementing, and wrapping up an event like this were fabulous. Despite the chilly weather, everyone seemed to have a great time. Our new popcorn maker was a huge hit!
Happy National School Psychologist Week (last week) to our amazing and dedicated school psychologist, Ms. Brooke Zeller. This year, perhaps more than ever, our Student Support Team of counselors, social workers, and psychologist provide vital supports for students – and guidance for families and staff. You will meet Ms. Zeller in IEP meetings and/or student study meetings – as well as around our school building interacting with students daily. Thanks for all you do, Ms. Zeller! Hope you all enjoy the chillier weather this weekend
Ellen Smith, Principal
Upcoming Important Dates:
- November 24-26 – No School for Students (Thanksgiving)
- December 1 – 7 – Book Fair at DHMS
- December 6 – Parent Chat – in English
- December 7 – Winter Orchestra Concert
- December 8 – Early Release Day for Students
- December 9 – Winter Band Concert
- December 13 – Parent Chat – in Spanish
- December 15 – Winter Chorus Concert
- December 20 – January 3 – Winter Break