Hi Phoenix families. We are looking forward to a great year with your students!
Device Prep: Please help your student prepare their device for the return to school by following the steps below:
- Find the iPad.
- Plug in to charge.
- Make sure that your student can log into the iPad. If the student forgot the passcode to unlock the screen and the device is on WiFi, the student should submit a student technology help request (DHMS website > Technology tab > Student tech help request). The school ITC can send a passcode clear command remotely to the device.
- If the iPad has fallen off of WiFi and is locked, the school ITC must restore the device to factory settings. The student should submit a Student tech help request, make sure their name is on the iPad and drop it off in the DHMS front office. The device will be reset and returned to the student at the beginning of school.
- Ensure the device connects to WiFi.
- BEFORE SCHOOL STARTS update the iOS: All student iPads MUST be updated to the current iOS, 14.7.1. This upgrade is necessary to support changes to apps the students will be using this fall. Upgrading the iOS is something you or your student can do at home, simply follow these step-by-step directions to upgrade the iOS. Tips for success:
- Plug the iPad in and keep it plugged in during the upgrade.
- Some iPads are low on storage. If the upgrade fails due to lack of space, offload some of the documents, here’s how.
- Turn off do not disturb in the Settings app. This seems to interfere with iOS and app updates.
- If there are any issues, submit a Student tech help request on the DHMS website.
- Upload any important photos, videos or files to Google Drive. Follow these step-be-step directions to upload items to Google Drive.
- All DHMS iPads, including 7th and 8th grade iPads, will be reset to the Hello screen the second day of school which will wipe out any existing photos or videos.
- Establish a charging area and routine to charge the device each night. Students are expected to bring a fully charged iPad to school each day.
Items to note:
- For our returning APS families: we did NOT change any returning student passwords used for APS StudentVUE (also used for Google and Canvas). Students will continue to use the same APS passwords that they used last school year.
- Rising 6th graders will use the same password they used in 5th grade. Returning 6th graders will turn in their 5th grade iPads and chargers to their TA teacher the first day of school. All 6th graders (returning and new) will receive their 6th grade iPad and a new charger during the first week of school.
- For new to APS families, our school ITC will be in contact with you to give you password information. Password support will also be provided by TA teachers. New to APS students will receive their iPad during TA in the first week of school. *Note – students who registered in the two weeks prior to the start of school may not have an iPad the first week of school. One will be provided as soon as inventory is available.
Changes to ParentVUE:
The ParentVUE link has been updated and the URL has changed. To access the new ParentVUE URL, visit the APS Family access Center website.
Families will encounter an error message when opening the ParentVUE app which is pointing to the old URL. To access step-by-step instructions on how to access the new URL, click here.
If you have not activated your account for ParentVUE, please contact our main office at 703-228-2910.
If you are not receiving SchoolTalk emails, please log into your ParentVUE account. You can update your email within ParentVUE.